Monday, June 14, 2010

Blessings o' Blessings - The Garff's

Saturday night we are at the hotel and I call my friend Elizabeth who grew up in Scarsdale, NY to ask her about church in the area. I knew her parents lived close by and they would know where to go to church. Well she tells me that her parents moved to White Plains, which was where we were staying, and they were 5 minutes away from us. She called her parents and then called us back to give me her parents number. We returned our car already and were planning on taking the hotel shuttle to the train station to go to church. So her parents, Blair and Sue Garff, offer to pick us up for church the next morning and invite us over for dinner afterward. They were so sweet to help us out and even brought car seats for us in their car. The Garff's are the kind of people that help everyone and anyone they meet. They are the most amazing people. My boys absolutely LOVED them. My boys called them Papa Blair and Grandma Sue. And then they acted like grandparents to my boys. It was nice for my boys to feel loved and more at home with people even though it was the first time they met my boys.

The Garff's then offered for us to use their car and stay with them until we found a place. Well, they actually offered for us to stay with them the whole summer, but we didn't want to overdo our welcome. They left a few days later for a month and a half so we stayed in their master bedroom. I was amazed at how giving and willing they are to help people. There was already a couple (Lindsay and Pat) and their neice (Patty) staying with them before we got there. So they had a full house of people while they weren't there.

The Garff's were such a blessing for us. We were able to use their car and stay there while we tried to find a place to live. Jeremy started work on June 7th so he just took the train into the city while we were there. It took him about an hour and a half, so it was a long commute for him each way. The car was so nice to have so we could check out places to live. We found a place that strung us along for a few weeks and we thought we were moving in the next day and then he emails and says his wife is worried they are going to get caught because they aren't suppose to sublet. We had been dealing with this guy for over 2 weeks trying to make his place work. It was a lot nicer than what we had been seeing so we were hoping it would work out. Anyways, it didn't work out, and then a few days later we found a different place but we couldn't move in until Tuesday June 15th. We wanted to move in over the weekend because Jeremy would start working with his group on monday and the long hours would begin so he wouldn't be able to help move. We also had visitors (Jeremy's mom, sister and brother-in-law) coming on Thursday the 17th so we needed a place for them to come to.

Well we didn't have many other options so we took this new 1 BR place and I had to do all the loading, moving, cleaning, and then unloading by myself. I think it was the longest day of my life, and I was so exhausted at the end of the day.....but we finally are in the city and excited to have visitors and now get to enjoy New York City. Our boys playing at a park by the Garff's house. The boys hadn't been having much fun with the stress of finding a place to stay so we tried to do a couple of play days for the boys.
They boys helped Patty (the Garff's neice) wash the Garff's car. My boys loved playing in the soapy water.
Patty was so sweet to my boys. All Jackson wanted to do was play with Patty, but she is doing her masters and so usually had to study. I think Jackson had his first crush! :)My boys saying good-bye to Patty. Jackson was so sad to say bye to her.

No comments: